[Noisebridge-discuss] What is this bug?

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Mon Sep 3 07:26:03 UTC 2012

* Jeffrey Carl Faden <jeffreyatw at gmail.com> [120902 23:13]:
> OK, so for the sake of everyone not bringing bedbugs back wherever
> they might reside, I would happily pitch in for an exterminator. Is
> this a wise or efficient idea? Anything I should know or anyone I
> should speak with?

Having dealt with eradicating a bedbug infestation, and also being
familiar with the expansive sprawling space that is Noisebridge, I'm
pretty sure any attempt at chemical extermination would be pointless.
Way too much surface area across way too many objects to deal with.
Also, chemicals would likely push the bugs this way & that through the
porous boundaries of the space, through which they could return.

First we should determine if there are actually bedbugs in the space,
and if so, where & to what extent. The scent-tek dogs Danny mentioned
would be an excellent first step. I used these dogs in my space, and
they really do work.

If we DO have an infestation, here's what I'd suggest:

Block out times where no-one is in the space (maybe overnight from
midnight to 8am over the course of a week or two) with traps set up.
What I found to be an effective trap was a CO2 emitter mounted above
a plastic tupperware container with tape on the outside for climbing
traction and talcum-dust on the inside to make it extra-impossible for
the bugs to crawl out. In the absence of any humans, they'd go for the
traps. The traps not only take them out of action, but also provide a
clear accounting of the state of their population.

Anyhow, based on my experience, that's what I'd suggest -- move their
food sources aside and patiently draw them out. But first, send in the
dogs. And if you haven't already, read up:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22bedbugs%22%20site%3anoisebridge.net&btnG=Google+Search

Regards,

John

--