[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: [sudoroom] High torque servos?

Gopiballava Flaherty gopiballava at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 01:27:53 UTC 2012

You need a voltage regulator. A linear one is simpler and cheaper but gets hotter when you draw more power. It also has a minimum voltage drop. So if you want 5v out, you need more than 5v in. Some are better than others. Low dropout ones can be used at only a small voltage above your desired voltage. They are inefficient. If you give a 5v one 10v in, it burns half the power as heat.

Switched mode are complex and fancy and efficient. Some can raise or lower the voltage. They have a spec for input voltage range and maximum current.

Also: check any wall wart power supplies with a voltmeter and make sure they do what they say. Some of them are not regulated. Most nowadays are but you can't be certain. Some put out quite high voltages until you draw power then they drop a lot. Some devices are built to tolerate wide input ranges and some will not tolerate even small variations without emitting magic smoke or failing to work right.

Thanks,

gopi at iPhone