[Noisebridge-discuss] Dogs

Mitchel McAllister xonimmortal at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 16 22:50:04 UTC 2012

Thank you for this excellent example of the logical fallacy known as
"false equivalency". Especially since it breaks down when one considers
how many people have been "harassed" by dogs in the space - none.

You
 also completely disregarded my point regarding the presence of other
allergens in the space which exceeds the quantity of dog allergens in
the space. I'm going to give you the benefit of a doubt and assume that
was inadvertent. I look forward to seeing you correct this lapse.

 am allergic to dust and pet dander. My sinuses are also irritated by
certain chemical fumes. However, that is *my* problem, not
Noisebridge's. It is *my* responsibility to take whatever measures I
deem necessary to safeguard my health - as long as it doesn't impinge on
 other people's rights or personal space. I am not going to demand that
Noisebridge implement twice-daily cleanings to take care of dust. I am
not going to demand that dog-owning members and visitors, whether their
dog is present or not, undergo decontamination of lingering pet dander,
upon entering the space. I am not going to demand that RepRap, the
soldering class, the foodhackers, the craft-hackers, and the folks using
 the laser-etcher go someplace else so I don't have to deal with the
fumes.

No, instead, I look at it *rationally*. It is impossible
to get away from dust. It is very difficult to get away from pet dander,
 since it stays on clothes, in hair, and even on skin. If there are
fumes in the space from various hacks, either I open a window for
ventilation, or I move to another part of the space.

Yes, I, a
person allergic to dog dander, am defending the presence of dogs in the
space. I made the decision a long time ago to cope with it, because I
enjoy the presence of dogs and other furry creatures.

I would
also like to point out that nobody has the authority to enforce a
decision on this matter, until a consensus has been reached - and that
will take at least 4 weeks.

I have yet to see anyone who has a
problem breathing around dogs actually weigh in on this subject. It's
hard to gauge how many people are affected this way, if none of them
actually speak up.

As far as individuals making people
uncomfortable, I had a couple people deliberately make me uncomfortable
by stating that I have no business being at Noisebridge, for no
discernible reason. I went to several members and discussed this, and
they told me to ignore those people.

- Reverend Mik