[Noisebridge-discuss] Feeding the trolls

Ever Falling everfalling at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 04:46:35 UTC 2012

So, wait... Rachel has gotten some auto-loan phone calls and has somehow
linked it to her being vocal of feminism? er... ok? Based on what? The name
John Wayne? Boy if that's what counts for evidence these days...

> If the troller was pursuing a softcore patriarchal agenda, then calling
them out seems appropriate.

Why? That merely gives them attention which is the primary goal of a troll.
Hence the phrase "don't feed the trolls".

> If the troller was not pursuing any sort of patriarchal agenda but was
merely being an ass, then calling them out and letting them know that their
behaviour discouraged feminist viewpoints would also seem appropriate.

Again, why? If they're trolling with no patriarchal agenda my previous
point still stands. trolls feed off attention so to give them that
attention plays into their hands. If they're merely being an ass then you
ignore them as well. Telling everyone that an anonymous person signed you
up for some phone calls doesn't enlighten the asshole to the fact that this
might be an assholish thing to do (I'm almost certain they already know
this). It just gives the asshole's antics a wider audience. If this were
some public thing where names were known then sure you could call them out
and hope social pressures would encourage them to change their behavior but
when they're anonymous reacting in ANY way is merely fueling their fire
because they know it'll get a reaction.

So this is not only counter-productive but it's a waste of time and
completely irreverent to what this list is for. Please take your personal
problems elsewhere unless you can directly link them to those in the space
and then we can have one of those nice long-winded threads we all know and
love.

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Gopiballava Flaherty <gopiballava at gmail.com