[Noisebridge-discuss] Feeding the trolls

Ever Falling everfalling at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 06:08:35 UTC 2012

> When Westboro Baptist Church started their homophobic agenda, the gay
community was told "Don't pay attention to them, they'll just go away."
You can see how well that worked.

> But when WBC started picketing the funerals of soldiers, synagogues, and
other "normal" organizations, suddenly ignoring them wasn't an option.

People have yet to actually heed this advice. The reason you continue to
see the WBC is precisely because they're being put in the spotlight
(because unless they're at your front door how else do you know they're out
there being idiots?). People thought "oh if only we exposed these people as
the nutjobs they are and counter-protested them they'd go back in their
hole." You can see how well THAT worked. It's really no secret that these
people, in addition to actually believing what they say, also feed off of
negativity and relish defending, and thus validating, their protests when
people act out against them. One time they did a little protest tour in SF
and they actually left a location early because no one was outside to react
to their little hate-fest and if you ever talked to them one-on-one about
anything other than religion or whatever they're screaming that week they
almost immediately drop their guard and talk to you normally. But this is a
bad analogy. You're trying to take a vocal and very public group of
assholes taking their asshole selves around the country and compare them
with /maybe/ one anonymous asshole who signed someone up for some automated
marketing calls. Again there's no certainty that this is even the case.

Like I said before If this was about a person who we could point to and say
"that person right there is being an asshole to me for these valid reasons"
then i say go to it and call them out. But we're not talking about that,
are we? We're talking about a supposed asshole who we have no idea who it
is who chose to sign someone up for some phone calls possibly because of
the victims vocal feminist views. These are super shallow grounds to be
basing such an argument on about how we deal with assholes in the space not
to mention even if it were true trying to hold them accountable for their
little prank is like yelling into the dark of night because you thought
someone knocked on the door and then ran away. If it's true then the
pranksters get to hear the reaction without any of the public pressure to
stop and if not you're just waking up the neighbors with your yelling. But
if that's how you wanna operate then so be it. I'll remember to complain on
the list about telemarketers because I think maybe someone here didn't like
these posts I'm making now and gave the sierra club my number.