[Noisebridge-discuss] Benevolent Sexism (Noisebridge's "Ask And Tell Culture")

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Sat Apr 6 23:04:47 UTC 2013

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Liz Henry <lizhenry at gmail.com> wrote:

> it is very telling to me when people step in to help me because I'm
> disabled or they offer help, but when I refuse the help, they get *angry*.
> Often I can see their anger ready, even before I refuse,  like they expect
> me to refuse it and are already gearing up to lash out.  It is about them
> and their feelings.

As a biased observer, I'd like to corroborate this. I've seen people offer
to help Liz, sometimes effectively sabotaging what she is trying to do, and
then when she tries to politely decline her help, they get *incredibly*
angry. Like swearing at person-in-a-wheelchair angry, or going "well!",
glaring at her and chattering loudly to their friend about how "they were
only trying to help" as though she was not in the room. I've seen people
actually try to wheel Liz off, and then be furious when she tries to get
away from the kidnapping person involved.

Sometimes this happens even as somebody who is not obviously labelled as
"needing help" is struggling nearby, ie a middle-aged lady trying to get on
the bus with their bags, or a person who is obviously lost, and who is
never given even the opportunity of declining help.

I think people don't help these people for the same reason as, ultimately,
they try to help Liz -- that they're trying to guess who might be demeaned
by being helped, and who it is socially acceptable to help. They miss
people who need their help, because they never think to offer it, but also
are angry at the person declining help because their is no socially
acceptable way for a person who should "expect" help to refuse it.

The actual lesson that I've learned from going through all of this outside
Noisebridge, but mostly by seeing what works *in* Noisebridge, is to junk
your belief in your social expectations, and just ask first.

Whereever you come from, Noisebridge is an *extreme* Ask Culture
environment. (See
http://ask.metafilter.com/55153/Whats-the-middle-ground-between-FU-and-Welcome#830421for
the difference). It has its roots in a subculture that is not very
good
at guessing social cues, has a social interaction mode that finds it hard
to express affect, and draws from an extremely diverse group of people
whose expectations (or capabilities) cannot simply be determined by their
outside appearance. Within Noisebridge, I believe the following cultural
norms to be useful and true:

ASK
It is almost *always* useful to politely ASK to establish people's feelings
about their current state. "Do you mind if I hold a meeting here?", "Would
you like help with that?", "Is this chainsaw too noisy?", "Am I talking too
much to you?".

I come from a mostly Guess Culture, and watching people like Liz and Mitch
and Mek and Shannon and others adopt this style in Noisebridge was
eye-opening. I do it all the time now, and people are mostly surprised and
happy, and with the feedback get better at interaction. I always think Mek
is the master at this interaction, because he always says it with such
eagerness, and is unbothered by whatever the reply. He is very inspiring.

TELL
If you are affected by something in Noisebridge, it is *mostly* useful to
TELL the people involved. It requires a bit more contextual diplomacy, and
is far stranger than the outside world, and people are more shocked by its
deployment, but it's incredibly useful, and most Noisebridgers are not
offended (or more to the point, you will get more sympathy from other
Noisebridgers if you do this in a social setting than you might elsewhere).

If someone is bothering me, I say things like "Actually, I am working on a
project now, and you have been talking with me a long time, so I need to
stop talking and go back to work.", or "Could you stand away from me? You
are talking very loudly right next to my ear", or "Thank you very much, but
I would rather learn how to solder this equipment, rather than have you
take over and fix it for me".

This even extends to "Actually I am still feeling mad about what you said
on the mailing list, so I would rather not talk to you right now", or "You
kind of smell funny at the moment, and so I'd rather you didn't sit next to
me", or, classically, "I believe your current opinions are the product of a
mental illness, and so think that discussing them further would be
unproductive".

When I first heard people saying such blatantly frank things to one another
at Noisebridge, it made me laugh (and still does), because it was like
hearing robots talk to other robots. But when I started adopting it as a
mannerism myself (and consciously thinking "Okay, I'll try to sound like
one of the Noisebridge robots"), it was so instantly liberating and useful
that now I am rather sad that other places aren't more like this.

DON'T BE SHOCKED BY ASK AND TELL

Both of these behaviours are considered odd in the outside world, and it's
easy to take offence either way, either because you come from a Guess
culture (see above link), or because someone is asking your permission to
do something that seems fucking insane, or telling you that they are upset
by something you believe to be entirely harmless. Nonetheless, the extra
information, on its own, is useful, and, if you can get over your shock,
can be accepted at face value.

There were lots of questions or things that I was told at Noisebridge which
I initially responded to with amazement or even anger, which I have later
accepted as incredibly useful revelations, either about the
inappropriateness of my own behaviour, or why I might want to spend more or
less time with someone else.

Of course, it's entirely possible to misuse ask and tell in order to
passively-aggressively insult someone, or pull off some creepazoid
mind-game: "Do you mind if I tell you you're gorgeous?", "May I ask you to
fuck off and never come back?" or whatever. But it's usually useful to
assume good faith: at the very least, an honest answer back at least
provides an outlet for your suspicions. "Yes, I do mind, and would like you
to stay away for a bit", "You can ask, but I feel comfortable where I am,
unless you wish to escalate", etc.

d.