[Noisebridge-discuss] Who do we want to exclude? [Drama]

John Withers jwithers at reddagger.org
Wed Apr 10 21:53:51 UTC 2013

On 04/10/2013 02:18 PM, Andrew Byrne wrote:

> In short, even the lack of action is a violence. -dru

Well, violence seems a little strong. But I think it is highly non-optimal.

Mik kind of hit on this during the last round of discussions when talked
about a group of people meeting for a project moving into the area
around the desk he was using and disrupting his workflow and/or shooting
him dirty looks. I can't remember all the details, but that was the gist
of it.

Mik sees one of the functions of the space (and I am not trying to put
words in your mouth here Mik) as a coworking kind of environment. I see
it in a perfect world as an educational and project working space for
hackers first, other considerations second. Neither of these is a wrong
view particularly, since we don't seem to choose to prioritize one set
of activites over the other in reality (there might be a document
somewhere that says, I dunno. The wiki has some words someone at some
point put on it I think, someone else might change them). But these
occasional clashes of understanding of how the space might be best used
and what activities might reasonably take priority lead to situations
like he described. Or as I have found where it is just easier not to
have the group I am working with meet at NB to avoid the same hassle.

But there will always be resource clashes of one sort or another I
guess. And possibly having a clearer agreement on what NB's community
might consist of in a perfect world very possibly wouldn't really help
much. I am not an expert on anything other than the stuff I need to do
my projects, and given the vast amount of time it takes me to get
projects done, possibly not even that.