[Noisebridge-discuss] Semantics

Mitchel McAllister xonimmortal at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 12 06:32:20 UTC 2013

--- On Thu, 4/11/13, Tony Longshanks LeTigre <anthonyletigre at gmail.com> wrote:
> And I hope that you, Rev. Mik, will balance your indignation (as
> described above) with the awareness that other people actually go out of
> their way to show you respect. I, for example, have for some time now
> yielded to you my favorite spot to sit @ NB—the high table in the "cafe"
> between kitchen & library. (I'm the one who created that "wall" between
> cafe & library, which people seem to like; it used to be an open space
> there, & I liked the more cozy & secure feeling you get w/ that barrier).

And both times that you have done so and moved to a different spot, I have questioned it, out loud, directly. You insisted that you were done. Both times you did this, and did not leave the space right afterwards, I had already set up at a different spot. You did it for your reasons.

> I don't have any particular reason for yielding that spot to you, except > that I suffer sporadic bursts of being a fairly nice & courteous person,
> & the sense of entitlement to the spot emanates very strongly from you
> whenever you enter the space—I feel it like a wall of vinegar.

That's funny because the only sense of entitlement I *might* feel is that Noisebridge live up to its billing and its mission. But then, you've accused me of entitlement before, so I'm somewhat inured, almost inoculated perhaps, to that.

> Also, we've had our differences in the past, & I believe I'm going out
> of my way to atone for my part in that, because I feel you & I aren't
> really enemies—we may in fact be allies, in certain scenarios,
> distasteful as the thought may be—such is the strangeness of life, as
> I've experienced it.

Please don't use "atone" or "allies" like this, please. I know what they mean. And I hold "allies" to standards almost as high as the ones I hold myself to.

If the general population of Noisebridge really thinks that I am that arrogant, "entitled", or self-serving, without bothering to get to know me, then perhaps I am in the wrong place.