[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: [BerkTIPGlobal] Fwd: [SALT] Nicholas Negroponte next WEDNESDAY April 17 (for forwarding)

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Mon Apr 15 22:31:24 UTC 2013

----- Original message -----From: Stewart Brand <sb at longnow.org> To:
SALT list <salt at list.longnow.org> Subject: [SALT] Nicholas Negroponte
next WEDNESDAY April 17 (for forwarding) Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 14:48:02
-0700

I’ve watched countless people listen to Negroponte, their minds
clenching, going, “Oh god what if he is RIGHT? Surely he’s just eloquent
and cruel, but not right!” Time passes, and if they have honest
memories, they notice that he was right. (Me too. In the 1980s I knew he
was wrong about touch screens being the future. Decades later, here came
the iPhone and iPad.”) As founder/head of the Media Lab at MIT, author
of BEING DIGITAL, he was Mr. Digital forever.

This talk he has titled “Beyond Digital.” What is it about? “I have a
whole collection of pretty extreme positions on language, culture and
nations. It is always easier to keep them to myself. But airing them
under a long now makes them more palatable.“

"Beyond Digital," Nicholas Negroponte, Marines' Memorial Theater, Union
Square, San Francisco, 7pm, Wednesday, April 17. The show starts
promptly at 7:30pm.

To be sure of a seat: • Long Now Members can use the discount code on
the Negroponte Seminar page to reserve 2 free seats. • You can purchase
tickets for $15 each. • Tune into the live audio stream for Long Now
Members at 7:30 PT - become a member for just $8 a month. Share this
talk: Nicholas Negroponte "Beyond Digital" Long Now talk on 4/17
http://goo.gl/jl9Nu

Talks coming up: May 21 (Tues.) - Stewart Brand, "Reviving Extinct
Species" July 29 (Mon.) - Craig Childs, “Apocalyptic Planet: Field Guide
to the Everending Earth” Aug. 13 (Tues.) - Daniel Kahneman, "Thinking
Fast and Slow"

High-quality videos of the talks and other benefits (such as priority
tickets) are available to Long now members. Membership, which starts at
$8/month ($96/year), helps support the series and other Long Now
projects. Joinable here.

This is one of a monthly series of Seminars About Long-term Thinking
(SALT) organized by The Long Now Foundation. Free audio and my summaries
of all previous talks are available for download here (or stay up to
date with the podcast here). You'll find a range of long-term thinking
items on our Blog (RSS). If you would like to be notified by email (like
this one) of forthcoming talks, go here to sign up online. Any
questions, contact Danielle Engelman at Long Now -- 415-561-6582 x1 or
danielle at longnow.org.

You are welcome to forward this notice to anyone you think might be
interested.

--Stewart Brand

--Stewart Brand -- sb at longnow.org The Long Now Foundation --
http://longnow.org/Seminars & downloads --
http://longnow.org/seminars/•Twitter - up to the minute info on tickets
and events •Long Now Blog - daily updates on events and ideas •Facebook
- stay in touch through our fan page