[Noisebridge-discuss] Semantics

Liz Henry lizhenry at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 01:42:43 UTC 2013

There have been suggestions at various times that people who really don't
want to be interrupted might put up a little "Working, please don't
interrupt me" sign.

Maybe a good opportunity for use of the laser cutter and some plywood!

When I don't mind being interrupted, I sit near the entry hall, make eye
contact with people, and greet them. Often it is really fun.

Overhearing things happening and other people's conversations is also a
good way towards serendipitously finding out cool stuff and getting
involved in other projects.

It can be awkward to try to negotiate with people to be quieter but I've
also seen that done successfully. It works best not to act entitled to that
quietness, since everyone is there to use the space for different reasons
and may do so in different styles.  It can work to ask nicely if people
might move to the other end of the space to be loud in, or, explain
non-acrimoniously that you are looking for a quiet spot, and move yourself,
so they understand.

- lizzard

Liz Henry
lhenry at mozilla.com