[Noisebridge-discuss] Semantics

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Wed Apr 3 02:02:48 UTC 2013

It's a perennial problem. Right now, the biggest constituencies that there
is an expectation that Noisebridge could help, and yet we have problems
providing resources for, is people who need more a) quiet and seclusion and
less chaos to hack on projects, and b) people wanting to co-operate on
long-term, high-involvement hardware projects. Also c) sustained long-term
group projects in general have been challenging, because of drift and the
fact that payment is a common way to bind people into a commitment.

I think we can improve b) by solving the locker problem FINALLY, and maybe
c) by drawing some lessons from the long-term group projects that do work
out. We've got enough success stories now to try and work out what works
and what doesn't (I think providing some supporting infrastructure for our
regular classes, like better live-streaming facilities, event calendar,
advertising etc would go a long way to help in this.)

I really don't know what to do about a) though. I think most people come to
the conclusion that quieter, less public space is the solution, and go off
and find one (or dream of building one). We really should put together a
list of the SF ones, because 9/10 people who get frustrated with
Noisebridge don't know there are perfectly awesome alternatives, like
Makeshift Society. I would love to organize an offsite "quiet room"
somewhere for Noisebridgers who want a nice peaceful place, which we could
also probably fund as a separate project under the same umbrella, like
Noisetor. Oh such dreams!

d.