[Noisebridge-discuss] bunk beds at noisebridge?

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Tue Apr 16 10:14:11 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 01:23:16AM -0700, Jake wrote:
> god, i can't figure out if Leif loves noisebridge or if he is a
> total troll.

I do love Noisebridge and I'm quite sincere in my belief that having a
designated napping place will reduce the problems around sleeping in the
space. I apologize for not bringing this to the mailinglist; it was
mentioned in the meeting notes for the two weeks prior to beginning
construction, and before that I sought out input from a variety of
people who I expected to have reservations about it (are you sure I
didn't mention it to you, jake? I thought I had). The general feeling I
got from those discussions was that it's worth a shot. There was not a
consensus proposal about it.

I request that people refrain from disassembling the hacker-stacker
napping pods without first waiting a while to see if they don't improve
the situation. If I'm totally wrong about my predictions, I will help
disassemble them myself.

Some predictions:

* Having a designated place to take naps will significantly reduce the
occurance of sleeping elsewhere in the space.

* Having a designated place to take naps will make waking people up in
other locations less unpleasant, because they can be invited to continue
their nap in the hacker-stacker.

* People who are in fact not really just taking a short nap will be more
visible and thus their misuse of Noisebridge will be more immediately
obvious.

* Many Noisebridgers will take occassional naps, and thus will be
happier and have more energy to do awesome stuff with their conscious
minds while at Noisebridge.

* People who practice polyphasic sleep will be able to use
Noisebridge without messing up their schedule.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep#Comparison_of_sleep_patterns

* Waking someone up *because you yourself want to take a nap there* will
actually make sense! (I once tried this in the library on behalf of a
polyphasic-sleeper friend who needed to take their regularly-scheduled
20 minute nap, and the person I woke up told me that (1) they weren't
sleeping, and (2) my friend was not allowed to sleep there.)

* An EEG and/or other instruments might be installed for people to
to record and publish data about their sleep and dreams. I'll let Kevin
elaborate on this plan.

~leif

ps: thanks Za and Kevin for doing most of the building! and thanks to
everyone else who helped.

pps: a certain froggy toad is very unimpressed by the design and has
sketches for a much less rectangular structure which will hopefully be
built to replace v0 in the future.