[Noisebridge-discuss] bunk beds at noisebridge?

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 19:10:41 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Ken M. Haggerty <kenmhaggerty at gmail.com>wrote:

> IIRC, since it was a matter of just building the pods themselves, it was
> not a consensus decision.
> If it turns out to have the opposite effect of what was intended (i.e.,
> increases # transients and/or use of Noisebridge as a napping place), then
> someone could submit a consensus proposal to resolve the issue.

Or someone could just do-ocracy them back to the fires from which they
came.  That also works.

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 2:28 AM, Mitchel McAllister <xonimmortal at yahoo.com
> > wrote:
>
>> --- On Wed, 4/17/13, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>> > I can't find any mention of this
>> > topic in the meeting notes on the wiki,
>> > for any of the recent meetings.  Are there notes about
>> > this discussion
>> > anywhere on the internet?
>> >
>> > -jake
>>

>> It was in the introductions for the meeting of March 12th.
>>
>> " Leif is setting up some Hacker Stackers Napping Pods in the North-West
>> corner. Get in touch to help out!"

Yeah this was pretty abrupt, and enough of a sucker-punch at existing
culture that it caused a few exclamation marks and stars to appear over my
head.  Again, I trust Leif and I'm glad Miloh is turning his grizzled eye
at the whole thing, so I'm not worried, I'm just... curious.

Which brings us to Miloh's excellent point (one of many):

One more criticism related to manifestos. Are people including social
design, theories of operation, or perhaps a plain old users manual for
their physical changes to nosebridge? How do disparate attempts at
technical solutions to social problems work without some rudimentary
planning for social function?

For instance, capsule beds could be conveniently located near some
food provided by popcorn cannons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta5jh9VglDw

-rma
<<<<

Hackerspaces could really use a Cultural Operations Manual.  I've been
thinking about this a lot, and talking to anthropologists who study modern
cultures...

--Naomi

--
Naomi Theora Most