[Noisebridge-discuss] today's noon sleephackers

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Fri Aug 9 20:52:26 UTC 2013

Nicholas, I think it is unfair to say, "noone is doing anything about
it".  First, lots of people are doing things, but since there is not a
full consensus about what the problem is nor what is best to do about
it, sometimes these things counteract each other (e.g. the sleeping
pods) so it's often hard to see.  Also, the problem (broadly defined as
non-hackers doing stuff that impedes hacking) is a hard one to solve, as
it is not obvious how to a) identify non-hackers nor how to b) either
make them into hackers or encourage them to not-hack elsewhere.

Second, if you want changes to happen, please please please make them
happen yourself!  You have heard, endlessly, about "doocracy".  It is
really a thing.  That is really how shit gets done at NB.  Yeah, not a
lot of shit gets done, and some things that everyone agrees would be
nice to happen, don't, but that's only because nobody has stepped up to
actually do them.  You could do them, you know.  (You too, everyone else
who is reading this.)

Daniel, regarding the donation box: it was stolen some time back
according to an earlier thread.  I'm in process of making a new, heavy
and sturdy steel one, but it will take me another week or so.  Anyone
who wants to provide one in the meantime, feel free.

Rachel1.0