[Noisebridge-discuss] Front door lock broken

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 03:48:58 UTC 2013

Done in one by a commercial grade door frame strike and all wiring fished
hidden? As last resort cheapest.

However it gets done in an other details- the wires simply must defy
tampering to the greatest expected threat levels.

Decades ago, I used to install&maintain entry systems in hostile areas. We
armored those systems to  almost Science Fiction Fortress levels. Including
design hacks such as magnetic locks very resistant to tampering. Designed
around integral redundancies.Door frame strike and active key in lever knob
plus a magnetic door holder.  Makes sabotage take a stupidly huge effort
and simple door prop open detection easily sets off alarms. Done largely
by  sensor devices sometimes approaching tinfoil hat paranoid.  Optical
beam breaks plus reed switches. Microswitches to detect Metallic Key latch
engagements. HID cards+PIN for entry/exit  signal.  With voice&video
intercom to a control operator for some sites. Nowdays we could use RFID.

How many members do we have that are self chipped...

ALL things that are hugely cheaper/better today than ever before.  All in a
layered approach of failure prevention before the fact. WE can indeed hack
from junk but are we doing ourselves any favor in the big picture??  We're
betting the Space on some of this! So reconsider failure please... For
real.

Failure defined as a security breach/lockout/lock in  being  intolerable,.
Yeah- there's multiple design issues with active magnetics. BUT! they can
be engineered to panic button+alarm modes that many other methods fail at.
Electric strikes of the less pricy door frame side are "usually"  a
power-to-unlatch/fails as locked in where magna lock "active"  is a fire
safety mode of no power equals door opens.  Several vendors make them and
yeah- they DO show up as salvage.  Used as substitute for any other closure
or as additive layer.

Last Resort First? As in throw $$ at a fairly resilient key& electric open
lockset having
 a declutch mode where vandalism resistance is high, with  or without a
separate door frame strike solenoid. Electric strike plus electric lockset
  Gives redundancy as to backup electric and a metal key.

http://www.rutherfordcontrols.com/media/31396/zl38_r0711.pdf

Few hundred bucks for a theoretically lifetime guaranteed fix if bought
new.

Features of note for the RCI being a Sargent or similar IC lock= no tools
core change for emergency rekey=revocation by IC swap. Which empowers swap
keyholders to do so no tools/low skill. IC also allowing the slow/noisy
authorized drill out of even a sabotaged core to be less risk of door/lock
damage.

It's all about dollars to result ratios past a certain point , eh?

Sadly I am not currently in town to hands on this.

But I am at the space's disposal for remote consult. Hopefully I've been of
assistance in outlining solutions.. Contact me on or off list.  I hope I've
made sense :}

Teal Deer: Design&build the damn door+systems so we don't have to think
about it again save for normal hinge lube etc.

Oren Beck

816.632.3695