[Noisebridge-discuss] Why Consensus Kills Community

Madelynn Martiniere mmartiniere at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 23:18:59 UTC 2013

No worries about the third person, Adrian :)

Thanks to everyone who read my lengthy post and responded. I think this
thread has shown how so many people have experienced a breakdown of the
current process.

Since the hot button issue is membership, here's how we addressed
membership at Freeside:

1. New person interested in becoming a member comes to a meeting and
announces their intent to become a member.

2. Answer two questions: 1) what are you interested in using the space
for and 2) what can you contribute to the space? (Also asked to put this
information on the list so those who could not attend the meeting can
see it)

3. Go through a 3 week trial period to get 4 sponsors and make
themselves known at the space.

4. After the 3 weeks is up, their name is brought up on the private
members-only mailing list. Anyone who has any MAJOR oppositions brings
them up ("he stole from the space" "was violent", etc.). If none are
brought up then they are made a member and given a key fob.

5. Once a member they have option to be part of the organizational
process by voting, but not obligated to.

Another thing to note (that I've mentioned several times in meeting)
regarding dues. Dues are very important to a hackerspace. Not so much
about the funding but about creating accountability. When people pay for
something, they are much more likely to be invested in the wellbeing of
the space, rather than being a passive observer when people are being
un-excellent towards the space or other members.

Our dues at Freeside were $80/month or $40 for starving
hackers/students. BUT because we had fostered a community of trust and
respect, there were always exceptions to the rule who couldn't pay
anything, but contributed to the space in other ways (teaching more
classes, cleaning the bathrooms weekly, whathaveyou).

I understand that a lot of Noisebridge is very anti-rules/control, but
consensus is not the way to address that. The reason hackerspaces like
Freeside and PS:One have waiting lists for members years after they've
started (and a very minimal amount of drama/theft/angst) is because they
have a strong organization with policies and procedures that can then be
amended on a CASE-BY-CASE basis.

If people are interested, I'm getting together all the bylaws I have
from various spaces so people can take a look. Just let me know.

--
Madelynn Martiniere
Community Engineer. Entrepreneur. Geek.