[Noisebridge-discuss] diaspora - how to get more people on it?

Simon C. Ion ion.simon.c at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 00:38:43 UTC 2013

On 12/16/2013 11:10 AM, Romy Ilano wrote:
> wow! i posted about diaspora a few weeks ago
>
> https://joindiaspora.com/u/romyilano
>
>  Nobody's really on it.

When last I checked (~6 months ago or so) two things really killed the
software for me:

1) There doesn't seem to be any protocol documentation. So, we cannot
interoperate with Diaspora servers.
2) According to the FAQ, you cannot move your data from one Diaspora
server to another. Once you select a server, you're stuck there for
good, even if that server operator turns Evil.

The project has been under development for three years. I know that they
lost their primary developer a while back, but (given that the project
bills itself as the decentralized social network where *you* control
your data) I would have thought that account migration and
interoperability would be pretty high on the list of things to work on
once the core software was functional.