[Noisebridge-discuss] diaspora - how to get more people on it?

Josh Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 11:40:26 UTC 2013

On Dec 16, 2013, at 4:38 PM, Simon C. Ion wrote:

> On 12/16/2013 11:10 AM, Romy Ilano wrote:
>> wow! i posted about diaspora a few weeks ago
>>
>> https://joindiaspora.com/u/romyilano
>>
>>  Nobody's really on it.
>
> When last I checked (~6 months ago or so) two things really killed the
> software for me:
>
> 1) There doesn't seem to be any protocol documentation. So, we cannot
> interoperate with Diaspora servers.
> 2) According to the FAQ, you cannot move your data from one Diaspora
> server to another. Once you select a server, you're stuck there for
> good, even if that server operator turns Evil.

:-(

> The project has been under development for three years. I know that
> they
> lost their primary developer a while back, but (given that the project
> bills itself as the decentralized social network where *you* control
> your data) I would have thought that account migration and
> interoperability would be pretty high on the list of things to work on
> once the core software was functional.

It might be helpful to identify the key use cases, design a minimal
system that handles them, and just build it.  By "minimal", I mean
(a) host your own data, (b) add semantic markup (microformats), and
(c) POST notifications to accepted subscribers when something
changes.  This is the IndieWeb.

http://indiewebcamp.com/

Josh