[Noisebridge-discuss] Thought crimes at Noisebridge, and how can we stop them?

jim jim at well.com
Thu Dec 19 17:46:59 UTC 2013

    Trying to find community is a matter of bonding
with others, yes? Why not come and find others who
share your values and interests and, with respect
to others, live and let live?
    One big and largely ignored fact of NB is that
there are several communities, such as the morning,
mid-day, evening, and late evening people as well
as those that center about electronics, sewing,
software, cooking, spacebridge, and other interests.
    It's unfortunate for some, who are harmless or
who offer real benefits to some others, that the
evening crowd has a much greater affect than others
regarding NB governance, and one of the founding
principles has been to recognize those who, for
whatever reasons, do not or can not attend
The Tuesday Night Meeting.

    You've exaggerated the bad features and skipped
the good features of Noisebridge. A couple of good
features are
* the openness provides a great place to meet people
  that one otherwise would never meet.
* cross-fertilization of interests and ideas among
  various interest groups.

    Those who simply "hack" and avoid the fray are
affected by the decisions of those who kick up the
fray: e.g. associate members and closing hours among
other tho't crimes.
    The attempts to impose rules to govern mostly
* mask individuals' behaviors (people can blind
  themselves to reality with the comfort that there
  are rules)
* and, it seems to me having watched NB from its
  inception, like medicines' side effects, rules
  generally are not worth the enforcement efforts.

    It's frustrating to put up with the bad sides of
any community, but rules usually do not address many
aspects of reality that drive behavior; patience is
a tough road.
    There have been individual, do-ocratic efforts to
address theft, sleeping, drug use, and other problems
that were successful and did not employ rules.

    Most of the people I learned to love have left.
I guess that's partly a matter of natural attrition,
but I know for a fact that to some degree people have
abandoned NB because of the rule makers rather than
the rule breakers.