[Noisebridge-discuss] Oppressive Behavior

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 02:54:54 UTC 2013

On 12/29/2013 5:42:43 PM, "hep" <dis at gruntle.org> wrote:
>Are we really going to literally debate the semantics and levels at
>which a white person is allowed to use the n word and have it somehow
>not be offensive?

Some feel actions matters, some feel syllables matter. Personally, I
feel one can NEVER say the N word, and still be a raging racist (certain
politiians, for example).

People who say intentions don't matter, only syllables, a person is
automatically a racist because of a syllable. I do not agree, and I
consider that a corrosive position.

I think if we debate what words are offensive to whom, we'll wind up
making lists of all the words that any one person finds offensive. I
don't think that's sensible.

I agree that NB needs a harassment policy, or something like it. It just
seems congruent with "be excellent to each other".

my concern is policy and policing. i spent a couple hours hanging out
with the comedienne who used n, and she's a totally sweet, kind, humble
person. She says wants nothing more than to bring joy and laughter into
the world, and i believe her. She was clearly traumatized by getting
literally shouted out of noisebridge, as she described it to me and J.C.

Is shouting people out the door for using a verboten syllable the
noisebridge we want?

Personally, i'd call that abusive. I'd call that harassment.