[Noisebridge-discuss] Square Punches query on another thread.

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 22:12:26 UTC 2013

On 12/22/2013 1:14:05 PM, "Oren Beck" <orenbeck at gmail.com> wrote:
>we would take the pump panels back to the shop and broach them with an
>arbor press. Well- to my recall..NB does not own a decent arbor press
>though there may be a bottle jack hydraulic?

Thanks a lot, Oren, how did you know I was looking to cut a square hole?

Actually rectangular, to fit a DB15 panel-mount. Need a clean 1/3" x
2/3" burrless hole in .025" aluminum sheet, 1" to 6" from the edge. I'm
going into production, so need consistency and relatively quick.
Commercial punches are too much, at around $200+. Need an alternative
solution under $50, preferably under $25.

Looking at jeweler's/fret saw, scroll saw, Dremel/rotary (but no
attachments seem appropriate), and chisels.

I found this arbor, but someone told me it cannot be used as a punch (?)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-TON-ARBOR-PRESS-/390648140010?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af47190ea

I nixed filing (too time-consuming, not accurate).

Thx!

ps, does noisebridge have a dirty-shop mail-list?

-Johny Radio