[Noisebridge-discuss] Why Consensus Kills Community

Al Sweigart asweigart at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 20:07:05 UTC 2013

That time it was an amusing lawyer, before that it was a guy whose rants
were set off by a fish tank, before that it was a long list of people who
thought it was fine to cook personal meals, sleep, and live in the space.
While the lawyer was an outlier (more tedious than amusing), the pattern is
that Noisebridge attracts a lot of pushy, entitled people. The consensus &
anarchism culture of "no rules, no one is the boss of me" allows
strong-willed people to bully their way around while making others feel
like they have no place to tell them to stop.

Lawyer or no, I still think Madelynn's original five points summarize very
real problems.