[Noisebridge-discuss] Why Consensus Kills Community

Tom Lowenthal me at tomlowenthal.com
Mon Dec 16 08:14:37 UTC 2013

John Shutt <john.d.shutt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Long story short: A strict interpretation of the associate membership and
> doorcode policies would result in all of the members of the book scanning
> group and Restore the 4th SF getting immediately locked out of the space.

Hi John, I want to take a moment to jump into this thread and disagree
with you. Sorry about that.

A “strict interpretation” of the associate membership policy would ask
that you introduce yourself to someone in the space and tell them that
you're working on the awesome book scanner project. If any one member
there agrees that you're working on a great project and that they want
you there, you're golden.

Only if not a single member there is down with what you're working on
would you'd have to leave. Honestly: policy or no policy, if you go
somewhere to work and **not a single person** there is happy with you
being there, it'd probably be a good plan to find somewhere else to
work.

I think that's pretty different from what you described. The goal of
associate membership is to knit the Noisebridge community together
more tightly and allow for more accountability for what happens in the
space. If that's too much overhead for you, I guess Noisebridge isn't
a good place for you to work.