[Noisebridge-discuss] Why Consensus Kills Community

Norman Bradley pryankster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 17:22:42 UTC 2013

I agree with Madelynn that the current decision making process isn't
working well and should be changed. As organizations change and grow
change in inevitable or the organization will die.

Now about "consensus".

 From Merriam-Webster: Consensus

1/a/ *:*  general agreement *:* unanimity
<http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unanimity> <the /consensus/
of their opinion, based on reports ... from the border --- John Hersey>
/    b/ *:*  the judgment arrived at by most of those concerned <the
/consensus/ was to go ahead>
2*:* group solidarity
<http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/solidarity> in sentiment and
belief

Although not exactly the same process at NB, I have been involved for
many years with an organization that only uses the consensus process for
making decisions.

I attend the RSOF (Religious Society Of Friends - the Quakers) meeting
in San Francisco. All Quaker Meetings are independent organizations with
no involuntary central authority. At our monthly meeting for business
all decisions are arrived at by consensus. By consensus I am not
referring to the process used at Noisebridge. If there are strong
opinions one way or the other the decision will be put off for a month
so people can think about it.

When I first attended a NB meeting I was surprised by the process used
thee. If you will look at the definition above you won't see anything
about a veto vote.

You are entitled to your own opinion.
You are NOT entitled to your own facts.

Norman