[Noisebridge-discuss] Can someone take measurements of the Worktable in the shop for me?

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Thu Feb 7 16:07:47 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Back in Nov '09 I built the black & red worktable in the "dirty" shop.
This was based on a design that Mike Kan shared, which he learned
from a mentor of his back in the day. Its design allows it to twist,
flexibly adapting to uneven floors. With each of its four legs finding
equally secure footing, the workbench top essentially becomes an
elevated extension of the floor. Thus, a no-wobble work surface that's
easy to move around. It's also nicely material-efficient, being made
of one sheet of plywood, three 2x4's and a handful of decking screws.

For a while now I've been meaning to put together some instructions
on how to make these tables and post it all on the Noisebridge wiki.
First I need a few measurements...but I'm currently unable to swing
by the space to do so. Could someone familiar with measuring devices
please gather the following dimensions (to an accuracy of ±1/16") :

* Distance from the floor to the table top
* Width of the rectangular pieces of red plywood that tie together the
  legs on either end of the table (close to something like 12" x 32")
* Distance from the edge of the end of the table to the face of the
  above mentioned rectangular piece of plywood
* Distance from the edge of the long side of the table to the side of
  the supporting 2x4

Also, if someone could take a few high-res photos of the table, that
would be great. I'm looking for overall shots of the table (preferably
with the top surface (& surrounding area somewhat) cleared of stuff)
and some close-ups showing how the legs are supported with gussets,
etc. For some reason the only photos I can find of this project are a
few blurry shots of me drilling holes (if emailing the images, then
off-list so as to not hammer thousands of in-boxes).

Thanks for help with either of the above,

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact