[Noisebridge-discuss] my bike was stolen

Lee Sonko lee at lee.org
Sun Feb 24 23:28:22 UTC 2013

I hope you get your bike back too!

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 2:36 AM, Ever Falling <everfalling at gmail.com> wrote:

> "It was locked with a pretty serious cable lock, which they cut pretty
> cleanly somehow"
>
> cable locks are generally ranked as the lowest form of lock you can
> buy. I've seen videos of people clipping through even thick ones with $20
> bolt cutters in a few seconds.

+1

It has taken me <30 seconds to cut through a mid-range bike cable with tin
snips. And tin snips are the wrong tool for the job.

I'm very happy with Pinhead locks and u-lock I have, securing my wheels and
seat with a uniquely keyed lock. This does away with having to use a low
security and high bother cable lock on the wheels and seat. If you get a
Pinhead lock, be sure to get them with the free POG security
washers<http://www.pinheadlocks.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=15&Itemid=60&lang=en&vmcchk=1&Itemid=60>
that
they started using a year ago. Without them, a thief can use Gator Grip
pliers to easily remove the lock.