[Noisebridge-discuss] DC-DC Power conversion - Cheapish finds!

Anders Nelson anders.k.nelson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 19:47:38 UTC 2013

Hey all,

I found some awesome DC-DC non-isolated convertors on Digikey, perhaps you
can benefit from my toils in their search fields. They are all really
compact and handle a buttload of current. Input and output voltage ranges
vary, but these were the cheapest and most available units I found.

You may ask "Why would I pay ten bucks for a switching convertor when I can
pay fifty cents for an LDO?" The answer is heat dissipation and efficiency.
If you don't want to burn people/things and/or literally reduce your
battery life by half (in the case of 12v -> 6v conversion), you should use
a switcher.

-3A: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/PT6304N/PT6304N-ND/278552

-10A:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/OKR-T%2F10-W12-C/811-2180-ND/2199630

-6A:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/OKR-T%2F6-W12-C/811-2179-ND/2199629

-3A:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/OKI-T%2F3-W32P-C/811-2287-1-ND/2708573

And here are some enclosures sized well to protect them:

http://www.boxenclosures.com/category/category_product.html?cats__id=612

You can, of course, build your own DC-DC convertor much cheaper. But when
you haven't the time these can save your potato.

=]
--
Anders Nelson

+1 (517) 775-6129