[Noisebridge-discuss] A complaint from Rwanda

Daniel Pitts Daniel at coloraura.com
Tue Jan 8 18:32:21 UTC 2013

Comments inline:
On 1/8/13 4:30 AM, girlgeek wrote:
> Hello All,
> Tomorrow I start teaching - wait for it - Visual Basic!!!!  Not .NET, VB.
My sincere pity.

> Per the unified Rwanda curriculum for IT high school students I am to
> teach a language which reached 'end of extended support' a half decade
> ago.
>
> By the way, one objective is:
>
>  * Define an events oriented language.  Do people still use that
>    terminology?  What would be a modern event oriented language?
JavaScript in Node.JS is "event" oriented.  Though the it's a framework
that is (or isn't) event oriented, not a language itself.
>  * Compile and execute a program in Visual basic.  Many years ago when
>    I dealt with the language it was an interpreted language, not
>    compiled.  I wonder if something changed?  I will try to look that
>    one up.
Hmm. I remember QuickBasic had a compiler (QBasic's savant cousin). I'm
not sure about VB, but perhaps.

> fwiw, this is the same official curriculum that requires students to
> answer on the geography standardized exam that the US is made of 52
> states!
What are the extra states?

> If anyone has any suggestions for me, I am happy to hear them.
Start a private tutoring business. You'll likely make more and be better
able to help individual students.  That's only slightly facetious BTW.

Good luck,
Daniel.