[Noisebridge-discuss] State of the dirty workshop

jim jim at systemateka.com
Sun Jan 13 03:46:25 UTC 2013

    Now that I've tried to work in it, the feeling
is that it was organized by someone who didn't
know about tools.
* The hammers are in a drawer labeled "wrenches",
  which should be re-labeled "wrenches, hammers,
  pounders, garden tools, and vacuum cleaner parts".
* There are no #1 or #2 or #3 philips screwdrivers.
  There are a couple of >3 philips screwdrivers.
* Best I can see there are no chuck keys for any
  of the (remaining, low-quality) electric drills.
* There are probably a lot of drill bits in there,
  but I haven't found them.
* hacksaws have no blades.

    I think the model of having useful, good tools
available for anyone who saunters in to do stuff
is proven failed.
    I like the model of a few heavy, hard-to-move
power tools along with some cheap, manual hand tools.
    I also like the model of sub-communities, groups
of a few people with shared interests that can lock
their good tools in some lockable bin that is theirs
and sits in the dirty shop. Or in some other place,
not a member shelf.