[Noisebridge-discuss] Your post, A complaint from Rwanda

girlgeek girlgeek at wt.net
Tue Jan 15 05:13:48 UTC 2013

Aaron,
Thank you so much for the reference.  I found and read it.

Speaking of 'rise and fall of things'

  I am also teaching a DB course.

The Rwandan education system is very big on standardized tests. This
whole country has some very orderly qualities.  Imagine what would
happen if  you put a cliche of orderly Germany down in the middle of
your cliche of  Africa and you would have a good image of Rwanda.

Well for DB the standardized tests are much more interested to know if
they can recite the names of DBMS systems than they are if the students
can form a simple piece of SQL.  And tests are not kept up to date.  So
yesterday I found myself teaching names of databases that I haven't
heard mentioned in a decade while ignoring more modern ones.

The third course I am teaching is C++.  Sigh.  That language is
specifically mentioned in the article as being in decline.  I am
considered the heavy duty technical one, the experienced American
trained professional.  And have been given the honor of teaching the
'serious' courses.   Ah, adjustments.  I really am going to have to try
to find a way to give these kids some sort of education as well as a way
to get them through the exams.  Btw, one of my fellow Peace Corps
volunteers who has a BA in Computer Science took a sample High School
completion Computer Science exam.  She did not do well.  That is a
comment on the exam, not her.

Thank you for the reference.  I need the encouragement.

Sincerely,
Claudia Zeiler