[Noisebridge-discuss] space heaters

Jake jake at spaz.org
Tue Jan 15 07:07:02 UTC 2013

People have been using a space heater in Turing classroom and may have
achieved approximately 4 degrees warmer air in there.  They keep the door
closed to keep the heat in.

A typical space heater uses 1500 watts on High setting.  Electricity costs
20.7 cents per kilowatt hour (bls.gov) so the space heater will cost about
31 cents per hour of use.

if left on 24 hours per day, this will be $7.45 per day, which is about
$227.29 per month.

If people are being conservative about their use of the space heater and
turning it off when they're not in there, the numbers will be
correspondingly lower.  If anyone knows where the Kill-a-watt is it could
be used to meter the power from the thing, but a simple clock is a good
approximation.

I don't have a position one way or another on the space heater, but we
should discuss as a group whether we can afford it.  I prefer body heat.

-jake