[Noisebridge-discuss] New Desktop Build in 6 years

MCS Wilde mcswilde at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 01:27:00 UTC 2013

My friend recommend I write the NoiseBirdge community and ask some
questions and if I had any.

I'm looking to upgrade my deskstop in a significant way right now. I
recently just moved my desktop PC from my coined Computer Room into my
bedroom with my 42'' Samsung. I bought audio couplers to join my PS3 and
PC using my great Logitech speakers and sub-woofer. So to say, I'm
pretty happy with my technology set up right now since moving it into my
room to help a number of things. Entertainment and my work related data.
My machine now purpose is to be a entertainment PC but also has some
power to render out After Effects projects that goes along with my work.
I renderout projects that are 20-30gigs so I want a machine that can be
built for that because I'm lucky this machine has or I never would have
learned what I have with Adobe Products.

I'm at the point now where I'd like to piece out building a new computer
to be a Entertainment and Work powerhouse. The one I have right now, the
case I've had since 2004 and it's just time to move on.

I'm willing to post the links of the components and make sure everything
is compatible. I would really appreciate if someone could help me with
that. I'm pretty certain everything is but I want any recommendations I
can get.

The goal here though is I want something that is a significant
improvement than what I have right now, that can handle my work related
needs with lots of RAM and Video card power, and at night enjoy it for
my entertainment needs.

I want to first start by stating my current PC specs;

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.6ghz
Kingston 3.25gb RAM
Windows XP (32bit version)
Western Digital 500gb sata
FOXCONN A7VMX-S/A7VMX-K/A7GMX-S/A7GMX-K motherboard

Now I was thinking of these for an upgrade;

ASUS Hudson D4 Micro ATX (I know micro's are small but my new case folds
the motherboard out, easier to get to, for Mid or Micro boards don't
matter which, would like to have more PCI slots though incase I needed
them.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131883

Zotac Geforce GT 630 Syndergy Edition 4GB PCI 2.0 x16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500255

Silverstone 500w Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256061

AMD Trinity 3.8 (4.2 ghz turbo) socket fm2 quad core w/ Radeon HD video?
(I've never heard of a processor being a a video card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113280

x4 G.Skill 8gb 240p DDR3 1333 RAM (32gb)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231607

LG Sata BD-r x14 drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136250

Okay I hope I gave you guys a thorough idea of what I'm going for. Any
help would be nice. Thank you.