[Noisebridge-discuss] door to gate intercom

Jake jake at spaz.org
Thu Jan 24 23:37:46 UTC 2013

last night I made a two-way audio intercom to go between the upstairs door
area and the gate downstairs.

yes, technically there was already an intercom but it was a low audio
quality useless piece of crap, and one direction wasn't working at all.

the new intercom uses apple plaintalk microphones which are high-quality
condenser microphones with a built-in preamp.  They send line-level audio
through a cat5 cable in both directions.

there is a microphone and speaker mounted at the gate (i didn't witness
the installation but the wiring was done when i left for BART) and a blue
cat5 cable runs from the gate to the camera monitor by the upstairs door.
At the monitor there is another microphone and speaker, and it's all