[Noisebridge-discuss] Meshnetwork?

Alcides Gutierrez alcides888 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 22:28:25 UTC 2013

Hi. Thanks to Rachel L. (who introduced the effort to me around November)
Ive been obsessed with the idea of a darknet. Started with zero knowledge
and wandered from site to site, concept to concept. Working in a vacuum
occasionally discussing with Rachel.

Im ready to discuss with absolute strangers now. If youre experienced or
just interested, I will be at Noisebridge every Thursday morning from
7am-11am with a paper folded sign saying "mesh network." Please approach me.

I am absolutely set on making a San Francisco mesh darknet (not reliant on
the Inernet) a reality before I die. I reached out on /r/darknet on reddit
last night. Someone mentioned a previous interest in a SF meshnet.

Im currently absorbing as much as I can about cjdns.read references to it
before but brushed it off because I thought it was only a dns application.
Turns out it is a routing protocol? And more?

A week ago I was turned on to OpenWRT. I thought that openwrt+olsr (or
babled or batman) would be a solution I would settle on. I think I still
want to mod my routers but I think its not necessary to work with cjdns.

I talked to a few people on efnet irc #cjdns last night and theyve been
cool with throwing links to me. And just casually getting me up to speed.

1 YEAR GOAL:

My own 3 router mesh in home with one server for neighbors to tap into
creative commons content. Live streaming????

2 YEAR GOAL:

Introduce the mesh idea to local business on a small strip of Mission in
Excelsior by my home.

3 YEAR GOAL:

Door to door residential introduction to mesh idea and start getting the
strip connected to my home.

All comments are appreciated.

Ps... sorry if email is long. Im leaving out a lot. Btw... Im so nontech
that I cant even qualify to be a script kiddie. I do learn quickly though.
And I also believe I heard of a mesh at NB but Im not sure... Ok thats it.
Thanks for reading...

Alcides Gutierrez
VaporOne.com