[Noisebridge-discuss] Come to the aaronsw memorial hackathon, day 2!

Yan Zhu yan at mit.edu
Sat Jan 26 20:51:58 UTC 2013

This is a friendly reminder to cancel your Saturday plans and come to the Aaron
Swartz Memorial
Hackathon<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Aaron_Swartz_Memorial_Hackathon>
at
Noisebridge. Robert and I are here working on open government data hacking,
Ping is porting Recap to chrome, there is a guy here drawing a portrait of
me who will also draw a portrait of you if you show up, and later this
afternoon there will be a bunch of talks:

   - 4 pm: *Step 1: FOIA, Step 2: ??, Step 3: Profit*, Ka-Ping
Yee<http://zesty.ca/>.
   How to write Freedom of Information Act request letters to do good things
   for the world.
   - 5 pm: *Hacktivism: On social justice movements*, Daniel
Jabbour<http://www.linkedin.com/in/djabbour>.
   A brief history of social justice movements, and my own experience with
   policy reform and hacktivism.
   - 6 pm: *Principles of Low Power Design*, Alex
Newman<http://dolemite.wuli.nu/>.
   Hardware you have never heard of for more low power.
   - 7 pm: *Improving the Scientific Process through Software*, Jacob
   Steinhardt<http://www.hertzfoundation.org/dx/fellows/fellow_profile.aspx?d=1205>.
   Learn about existing open source projects to improve science, and others
   that should exist but don't.
   - 8 pm: Part two of Danny's talk?

Later there'll be a (relatively quiet) DJ set by Chromatest J.
Pantsmaker<http://www.chromatest.net/> and
some of us might take a field trip around the mission to look for hidden
surveillance cameras if we get bored of using computers.

See you,
Yan

--
Yan Zhu