[Noisebridge-discuss] State of the dirty workshop

John Withers jwithers at reddagger.org
Tue Jan 15 02:21:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-01-14 at 13:17 -0800, jim wrote:
>     I told him to hide the routers and he seemed
> surprised, then I think he got my point: don't make
> really dangerous tools easily available to the
> adventurous and inexperienced.

This strikes me as a fabulously bad idea. Are we going to hide all the
multi amp power supplies and every sharp object in NB as well?

This creates a situation in which those of us who don't live in the
dirty shop but use it for various things have no idea if something still
exists or not. And since things do have a habit of disappearing, it is
perfectly reasonable to assume, oh, someone stole all the routers and
sold them for crack, there are no routers at NB.

I really like the idea of getting a couple of lock boxes and labeling
them. Thus, we know that something is actually there and it is just a
matter of gaining access, so we need to ask around. I am willing to
donate to this idea. But hiding tools so that no one who isn't in the
sekrit club realizes we have them seems like really bad form.

-j