[Noisebridge-discuss] State of the dirty workshop

Andrew Byrne andrew at pachakutech.com
Tue Jan 15 06:42:51 UTC 2013

As it is not hard to make good meth, this area has a market for it, and
there are many understaffed labs in the area--so glassware is available--I
would imagine SF has pretty high quality shit.

Not being one who really gets off on meth, I agree with John's point. The
radial arm saw and the band saw are the easiest to chop up meat with, but
we don't hide those. Also, remember: you and those entrusted with the
organizational plans will not always be here, and then people who have
nothing to do but "organize" the space will do so with no regard to
function. Further, at that point, one of the thieves same will have brought
into the space will find the obscurely placed, but obviously useful object
you have hidden and will take it to the nearest pawn shop/flea market.

Notes are good practice, allowing people learning experiences wrt handling
tools they have no experience in without asking for guidance is less good,
but still not really bad, IMO.

Ending thought; does Do-ocracy work in high-stakes situations?
-dru

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM, jim <jim at systemateka.com> wrote:

> Your labeled lockbox is a good idea.
> Is it good meth?
>

> On Mon, 2013-01-14 at 20:18 -0800, John Withers wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-01-14 at 18:41 -0800, jim wrote:
> > > Your take on my words is different from
> > > my intent. Your labeled lockbox idea is a
> > > good solution. Your reference to a sekert
> > > klub strikes me as over-the-top per my
> > > intent.
> > >     And I didn't want to suggest hiding all
> > > sharp or dangerous objects. Just a few that
> > > are both "exotic" and "dangerous", which is
> > > to say, things that require some training
> > > and can cause serious damage, like converting
> > > flesh to mush.
> > >

> > Yeah, it was over the top and I didn't mean to be insulting. But I still
> > have an issue with doing this with *any* tools unless there is some kind
> > of large sign that says "We have X. You can't have it unless you talk to
> > Y." Otherwise it is impossible to know what is available for use, what
> > we just don't have, and what has been converted to meth.

-- --
@AndruByrne
CEO, Pachakutech
www.pachakutech.com/intro.html