[Noisebridge-discuss] A test of Excellence

jim jim at systemateka.com
Thu Jan 17 18:28:10 UTC 2013

    I like that the space is open to everyone. I like
that the people are willing to accept anyone.
    To some degree, theft can be addressed by not having
desirable and easily stealable equipment. Lean toward
hand tools rather than motor-driven hand tools. Get
cheap motor-driven hand tools. Get a lockbox for
expensive or dangerous motor-driven hand tools. Bolt
heavy tools to workbench surfaces (chopsaw, drill press,
table saw...).
    Think of the space as a bus station. Leave any of
your things around the space just as you would leave
those things in a bus station: if you've got trusted
pals who'll watch your stuff, great. If not, take your
stuff with you to the bathroom or taqueria.... Or
maybe bring a lockbox of your own, something that's
too big and heavy to steal easily.

    Talk to people you normally don't talk to. Be
curious about them and their interests. Don't assume
they're thieves, assume they have interests or knowledge
that you'll like knowing about if you can dig it out.

    If there's a codekey at the top of the stairs, who
will tell me the code? (Think of "me" as anybody you
don't know but who comes to use the space appropriately.)
Will someone change the code? How will the rest of us
learn it? How to manage the use case that someone asks
someone for the code so's to let someone in?

    Having a camera facing up the stairs strikes me
as a possibly good idea. Trouble is, if it only works
in real time (no image capture), it's of quite limited
value; if it captures images, does it do so by sensing
changes or one capture per time period (each second)
or some other scheme? Given captured images, who has
access to them and for how long do the images remain
captured?