[Noisebridge-discuss] door

hep dis at gruntle.org
Fri Jan 18 14:18:14 UTC 2013

Actually the reason I and many of my female hacker friends don't go to
noisebridge is exactly why John was saying. I would honestly rather hang
out on Mission St out front, than hang out at noisebridge, what with the
way I have been approached in the space, and the type of people who I
normally encounter on my relatively rare visits there.

-hep

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM, rachel lyra hospodar
<rachelyra at gmail.com>wrote:

> > Look around NB, Johny, see a lot of the female hackers that were there a
> > while ago? Where did they all go? Is there a convention somewhere else?
>
> no way dude. i just checked with all the feminists and we'd rather hang
> out with sketchy street people than brogrammers any day of the week. next
> scapegoat please.
>

> On 1/17/2013 3:27 PM, John Withers wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2013-01-17 at 13:57 -0800, johny radio wrote:
>>

>>> Your solution seems based on the assumption that whomever gave access
>>> to the bad actor is a collaborator. That may be true in some cases,
>>> but surely not most.
>>>

>> I think what Jake's pretty smart thinking here does is force us to start
>> taking some responsibility for our community and the people entering
>> into it and is proposing one of the only workable ways I have heard so
>> far to do this.
>>
>> Look around NB, Johny, see a lot of the female hackers that were there a
>> while ago? Where did they all go? Is there a convention somewhere else?
>> What has been stated by many people and while I don't personally
>> experience it, being male and all, I believe completely, is that NB has
>> become even more hostile and dangerous to women than is average in the
>> tech nerd community (which already has huge and well known issues in
>> this area). This is because we don't take responsibility for our
>> community and who is in it.
>>
>> We can't have nice things. This has been belabored in recent
>> conversations over and over and in waves since the dawn of NB time. Why
>> can't we have nice things? Why do hardware hackers realize we can't work
>> on any project we can't carry in and out of the space because if we
>> leave anything on our shelves, no matter how esoteric, there is a 50%
>> chance it is going to disappear? Because we don't take responsibility
>> for our community and who is in it.
>>
>> Jake's thinking here isn't the solution to the problems of our community,
>> but it sure looks to me like a step in the right direction.
>>
>> -john

hep
hepic photography || www.hepic.net
    dis at gruntle.org || 415 867 9472