[Noisebridge-discuss] door

Tony Arcieri tony.arcieri at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 00:33:38 UTC 2013

My 2c:

I don't go to Noisebridge very often, but the door situation and the
apparent confusion surrounding it aren't helping motivate me to participate
in the Noisebridge community.

At one point I knew a door code and it's since been deactivated. I haven't
had too much trouble getting in, but because nobody knows who I am I've
been met with scrutiny several times I've arrived (though not always, I've
had several "nice" people who apparently thought I belong enough to let me
in)

I'm mostly going to small meetups and when people scrutinize me I don't
really know what to say. "See those guys at the table near the windows? I'm
with them"

Honestly at this point I'd be willing to pay money if it meant I could
reliably enter and leave without someone being a dick. Or maybe I should
just steal someone's door key and make a copy...

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 1:57 PM, johny radio <johnyradio at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Jake wrote:
> "It's true that your reputation is on the line if you let someone in who
> makes trouble. If not the person opening the door, then who?"
>
> -the person who INVITED them is who.
>
> In other words, let's stop letting strangers in off the street, period,
> unless they can provide a verbal password, a Noisebridge ID card, a copy of
> the invitation, etc.
>
> The current practice is to let in whomever buzzes. Remove the buzzer, or
> implement verification methods. Otherwise, don't expect people to answer
> the buzzer. Then legit visitors will walk away, discouraged, never to
> return.
>
> Jake, you're asking hackers who are busy working on their projects to
> verify the decency of a stranger via a video camera, and to take personal
> responsibility if they guess wrong (plus the visitor has to figure out that
> they need to remove the camera barrier). With all due respect, i think
> that's not a workable solution. People do not come to Noisebridge to place
> themselves at risk for being blamed for someone else's thievery. The result
> is people will simply stop answering the buzzer. If that's your goal, then
> I guess your solution is best.
>
> How are you going to enforce this? If somebody innocently gives entry to
> somebody who later turns out to be a thief, do they both get kicked out of
> Noisebridge? It seems like a great way to alienate innocent people.
>
> Your solution seems based on the assumption that whomever gave access to
> the bad actor is a collaborator. That may be true in some cases, but surely
> not most.

Tony Arcieri