[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Access : What is our policy? What should it be?

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Sat Jan 19 06:30:47 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 01:15:50PM -0600, Martin Bogomolni wrote:
> This thread was "A test of Excellence", responses inline.
>
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:28 PM, jim <jim at systemateka.com> wrote:
>
> >     I like that the space is open to everyone. I like
> > that the people are willing to accept anyone.
> >
> >     To some degree, theft can be addressed by not having
> > desirable and easily stealable equipment.
>
> This _utterly_ defeats the purpose of Noisebridge as a hackerspace.
>
> If we can't have good tools, equipment, computers, and things around..
> what's the point?
>
> > Lean toward
> > hand tools rather than motor-driven hand tools.
>
> Sure, lets go back to the stone age.  I'll go get some rocks, and tie
> them to some sticks.
>
> Seriously, Jim, Noisebridge is a place where people use advanced
> tools, and things like mutimeters, digital signal generators, sewing
> machines, laptop computers, 3D printers.
>
> >     Think of the space as a bus station.
>
> Not just "no" ...  My response to this is "not while I breathe."
>
> If we wanted to have NoiseBridge be like a bus station, we would have
> set it up in a park somewhere, or use places like community centers
> and have a 'virtual' hackerspace where we just bring our expertise to
> meetups

Yeah, I'm not paying to have a bus station. I'm idealistic, but my
idealism is to make things *better* not to live with worse.

I don't think we're going to solve this on the mailing list. We need a
small group of people to plot, and work on this. We've had a disctinct
lack of plotting and working on these problems recently (apart from
Jake). I don't think people actually realise that they're supposed to do
that. It's how Noisebridge exists, and continues to exist.

d.