[Noisebridge-discuss] FW: $50K of robot donation

John Withers jwithers at reddagger.org
Sat Jan 19 22:40:04 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-01-19 at 11:42 -0800, Peter Jansen wrote:

> I remember seeing the Topos on TV when I was young -- It'd be fun to
> have one wandering the lab, perhaps hacked to do some interesting
> science.

Yeah, I am thinking the exact same thing about one of those HEROs, which
I deeply coveted when I was young, and hence my quick posting about us
getting this stuff. I would love to add to the original and have it
doing interesting things (although I think I would probably take some
care to keep the original parts involved or hack it in such a way that
it could be fully restored to original condition easily).

But I am having some slight misgivings the more I think it through. A
couple of the pieces on this list are unique or close enough. These
things are part of our historical culture. And the parts are from the
80's and while they can be pressed into service, they aren't insanely
useful for modern projects. Given the nature of our folks, we are
obviously going to either reuse the parts or highly modify these units,
and with a few of them that would be nearly criminal. It would be like
ripping the screen out of a Vectrex to use it as a status display for a
quad copter sensor package or something. (and if anyone here knows where
there is a vectrex collecting dust, you can feel free to talk to me
about it...)

-j