[Noisebridge-discuss] [NB-discuss] ...old home wiring?

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 20:46:35 UTC 2013

Hey Brian

Step 1: If you don't know what you're doing hire an electrician. My Dad
did tons of wiring in our house, but he learned how not get electrocuted
or start a fire first. This is Noisebridge-- We're hackers! Just BE
SAFE. Do your homework. Wear surgical gloves. Beware of grounding, etc.

Step 2: Check on your landlord's legal responsibility re electrical stuff-
http://www.sftu.org/

Step 3: it's not illegal to do your own wiring, but city inspection
might be required.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4597285_wire-old-house.html#ixzz2YaB4OzoU

Step 3: Ask google:

"The biggest disadvantage of having old wire like knob-and-tube and
Romex wiring is that these types of wires didn't implement ground wires.
That means that if there is a short to an appliance, let's say, you will
become the path to ground and become electrocuted."
http://electrical.about.com/od/wiringcircuitry/qt/oldwiringbad.htm
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/35072/electrical-wiring-in-an-old-house-non-grounded-outlets
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/electrical-c-d-c/332510-about-old-house-wiring-ground.html#b

How to Replace the Wiring on an Old House
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/electrical-issues-in-old-houses.shtml

How to Connect Old Wiring to a New Light Fixture
http://www.familyhandyman.com/electrical/wiring/how-to-connect-old-wiring-to-a-new-light-fixture

Old House Wiring Inspection & Repair: Electrical Grounding, Knob & Tube,
& Electrical Wiring in Older buildings
http://inspectapedia.com/electric/Old_House_Wiring.htm

10 Tips for Rewiring an Old House
http://www.oldhouseonline.com/10-tips-for-rewiring-an-old-house/

Replacing Old Wiring in an Old House
http://nicolassimons.hubpages.com/hub/Replacing-Old-Wiring-in-an-Old-House

Protecting Old Wires
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,20154324,00.html

Electrical issues in old houses
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/electrical-issues-in-old-houses.shtml

Illegal and Unsafe Wiring in Older Homes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZks8nE40tc

Johny Radio

Stick It In Your Ear!