[Noisebridge-discuss] [sudo-discuss] Announcement - RockIT CoLabs

Marc Juul marcjc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 03:46:54 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Darren Overby <darren at rockitcolabs.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Marc Juul <marcjc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Co-working? yes
>>
>> $200 monthly dues? yep
>>
> $100 for evening memberships, free & reduced memberships available for
> people who contribute to the community in some other needed way.
>
> For profit? nothing stated to the contrary. seems likely.
>>
> The business structure is not a 501(c)(3).  Not because I do not believe
> in and support non-profits, but only because I don't understand how to set
> them up and manage them.

Now is a great time to learn!

>   I would actually like to set the finances up as a co-op and have been
> looking for co-op membership management software.

Maybe you should understand the alternatives before deciding on a specific
model?

> Hierarchical organizational structure? assumed guilty until proven innocent
>>
> Actually I have always operated my small businesses as Reverse
> Hierarchical <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_hierarchy>organizations.    Which means if someone does shit in the stairway (thanks
> Dennis), there is frequently no question about who's responsibility it is
> to clean it up.   Mine.  :-)

Is this a small business? Who is in control? Who profits from this? Who
gets to make decisions about the space? Who has the final say? Who pays the
rent?

Attempt to make their business venture more successful by luring in hackers
>> from local non-profits? sounds like it
>>
> I hope not.  Noisebridge is the preeminent hackerspace for the world and
> one I whole-heartedly respect and have supported with financial and in-kind
> donations over the years.   I was reluctant to post to the list, but I also
> have friends at Noisebridge and SUDO who have expressed interest in
> teaching free classes in my space and also selling their kits here.   Only
> wanted to make them aware we are open.   I got the "cross-pollination" idea
> from here <https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Passport>.
>
> Oh, wait, is the answer: By co-opting existing open communities into
>> for-profit organizations?
>>

> Hopefully not by co-opting but by cooperating where possible.   I think we
> will perhaps serve the (shall I say) "less initiated" and  "hacker-curious"
> people of the world and Noisebridge will always have a loyal following of
> true "out of the box" thinkers.   I'm hoping San Francisco is large enough
> for a variety of hacker and maker venues and I will always promote
> Noisebridge as the true Hackerspace.   (Rachel - I have removed the
> Noisebridge branding)

It is still unclear who controls and profits from this. Some of us want to
know who and what we are collaborating with and/or supporting before we
begin. What you are doing here is similar to launching a piece of software
without specifying the license and inviting people to hack on it.

--
Marc