[Noisebridge-discuss] When were bunk-beds installed?

Eric W. Rasmussen ewr at majortek.com
Fri Jul 5 02:18:41 UTC 2013

I understand the concept but this is absolutely absurd. It's like adding
fuel to a fire with the hope that the house will burn faster. The "pods"
completely dominate the space once reserved for 3D printing and Laser
cutting and now users of the space are required to monitor the sleeping
habits of others.

Whenever there is a problem, there are three fundamental ways of solving it:

1. Ignore it and hope it goes away
2. Fix the problem by using logic and physical effort
3. Throw money at it

However, with every solution arises new problems. What one needs to ask
is, "Is the new problem greater or less than the previous problem"? If
less, then it's probably a good solution. Let's use the overall
messiness of the space as an example. We can:

1. Ignore it and hope it cleans itself
2. Clean it
3. Hire someone to clean it

#1 isn't going to happen, obviously. #2 requires that people gather for
a concerted effort. #3 would work but NB is continually living
hand-to-mouth. #2 seems like the best solution.

I don't know the answer to homelessness but I am fairly certain that NB
is not the place for a solution. When was the last time you saw a house
in the middle of an office complex?

I am being very honest when I state that I was embarrassed. This topic
needs to be discussed again. If not the outcome will be:

#1. People will ignore NB and it will go away.