[Noisebridge-discuss] Unable to get in recently

Henner Zeller h.zeller at acm.org
Sun Jul 7 20:44:37 UTC 2013

On 7 July 2013 13:19, Sai <noisebridge at saizai.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Henner Zeller <h.zeller at acm.org> wrote:
> > As long as it is possible to open the gate in emergency situations easily
> > from inside, this sounds like one solution.
>
> I'd also add that a pretty basic requirement of a front door lock is
> that if you have a key (physical or code), you should always be able
> to open the door from the outside.

Agreed. Having a physical key should always work.

I did a quick survey to get an impression, how sturdy these electric door
strikes are. Typically, they are advertised between 1500 and 2000lbs
'holding force', while around 2000lbs is considered 'heavy duty'.

2000lbs is not a lot if someone medium heavy is violently throwing against
the door, but maybe better than the lock we have now. Does anyone know the
brand/type of the lock currently in use ?

I'll look around a bit more; I am happy get one and donate it if I find
something that is 'proper' :). A technical question: since the lock is
buzzing, is it an AC lock ? What voltage ?

 -h