[Noisebridge-discuss] Unable to get in recently

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Sun Jul 7 22:39:00 UTC 2013

Just to make it very explicit, the front door lock suffered a tripple
failure over the 4th of July:

1.  The physical key mechanism failed and is seemingly broken; a physical
key will go in but just spin without engaging any mechanism.
2.  The server which handles internal DNS as well as the door-code system,
minotaur, died a fiery death.  On Friday night, Ben was in all evening
working on replacing it; I believe he was successful (see the "minotaur
dead" thread), but it's not clear that the baron.py is back in action (this
is the gate-code daemon).
3.  The strike-plate mechanism on the front door seems to be broken, so
that simply pushing on the door opens it.

As far as I know, these are three independent failure modes, one is not
causing either of the other two.

You seem to have run into a weird edge case where #3 was not true but #1
and #2 were.  Weird.

If you have a line on door locks that will never, under any circumstances,
fail, please let me know.

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Sai <noisebridge at saizai.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Henner Zeller <h.zeller at acm.org> wrote:
> > As long as it is possible to open the gate in emergency situations easily
> > from inside, this sounds like one solution.
>
> I'd also add that a pretty basic requirement of a front door lock is
> that if you have a key (physical or code), you should always be able
> to open the door from the outside.
>
> It seems that currently, the door has a failure mode which can make it
> impossible to open (without being forced) from the outside. That seems
> pretty bad to me; we shouldn't have to rely on there *always* being
> someone at NB to let people in.
>
> Plus, what do the 2nd floor tenants do? They have to get in too; the
> front gate isn't just ours, and if we make modifications to it, we
> have a responsibility to other tenants in the building to ensure that
> they are able to get in and out easily as well.
>
> - Sai

Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700