[Noisebridge-discuss] Ask The Food Hackers

Adrian Chadd adrian.chadd at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 21:29:07 UTC 2013

Hi,

Assuming "food hackers" can design a kitchen is like asking a chef to
design a kitchen. You know, and know about things like drainage, fire
safety, electrical safety, correct loading and support for things that have
to hold weight, making sure oven/grill doors open up in a safe way and
aren't blocked by tables, what materials to select in order to minimise
cleaning requirements and stay sterile (eg using chipboard? *slap*) etc,
etc. You know, all the stuff that doesn't involve actual _cooking_.

That's why a well designed kitchen doesn't just get built by an architect
who cares about how it looks, nor a chef who cares about his work, nor a
structural engineer who cares about how things hold together. It's going to
be a collaboration between people, and/or driven by someone who knows about
(say) cooking and the practical side of building things. And then it gets
verified by some kind of engineer/architect who says "yes, we can actually
make this in a way that won't catch fire or fall apart."

So, I'm all for having food hackers provide input. But don't just blindly
assume that because 'x' is using it, 'x' should design it. That's got all
kinds of 'fallacy' written all over it.

2c, keep it real,

-adrian