[Noisebridge-discuss] happy feminist film night: Hayao Miyazaki?

macegr garrettmace at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 03:10:49 UTC 2013

The only definition I challenged was whether a man could consider themselves feminist. There's anything but consensus on whether being a feminist requires a specific configuration of organs, but I believe that a man can want the same things, and that feminism is an idea rather than an accident of genetics. I'm not even claiming that I'm a feminist, though I often identify with their thinking. What Lupita might be on guard against is a sick form of sexism where men purport to be feminists but actually want to gain female approval through white-knighting the movement, attempting to make women dependent on their protection.

But, to be entirely honest...I felt Lupita's phrasing was not what someone would use to reprimand someone and draw them to their point of view, but was constructed purely to ignite controversy. Therefore I thought I was feeding a few breadcrumbs to an obvious troll, which might change your opinion of how reasonable I actually am.