[Noisebridge-discuss] Asked to leave: Tony Longshanks & Veronica

Callme Whatiwant nejucomo at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 22:04:14 UTC 2013

Hello,

Evangelist Conceso-Troll here!

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 2:50 PM, Carl <carl at icarp.info> wrote:

> Hi Tom,

[snip...]

> What authority do you have for telling him this, as opposed to simply
> telling him to leave and come back to a meeting to discuss this, which is
> the usual procedure?

Ooh, ooh, I can answer this!  The answer to "What authority" is: None.

I assume on good faith that Tom was requesting that Tony leave as an
individual, but also one who was taking on the responsibility of gauging
the community.  If he was claiming some kind of authority outside of that,
I'd take issue with that.

Judged only from this mailing list, it sure seems to me like Tony doesn't
respect the requests of Liz, Tom, Jake, Danny and perhaps others, so if I
ever meet him, I will have to adjust my behavior and expectations with the
assumption that he does not respect requests.

On the other hand, I haven't heard practical requests from Tony, but I have
heard a complaint that white hetero Googley Appendages are preying upon nb
and San Francisco.  I'm also concerned about that, but I don't understand
any specific requests from Tony.  How can nb improve or change to address
that?  If the answer is "let people damage walls and then leave a mess for
the landlord" I fail to see how that will stop the Googlification of San
Francisco.

As far as I recall, no one has suggested Tony has ever been a threat to
> anyone in the space, so I would like to know more about why people are
> insisting that he be banned.

It seems fairly obvious to me, (again only having only read emails), that
Tony threatened his own safety, and damaged property without recompense to
those who had to deal with it.  Also, damage and wasting people's time is
not "a threat" but worse.  Accidents happen, but from Jake's email I gather
Tony insufficiently apologized, helped, or cared about his actions.

I'd like to keep in mind though, that my view from email land might be
missing important details.  If *I* were Tony, and I actually cared about
the community of nb, then I would ask myself: "How can I gain their
respect, so that people are comfortable with my presence in the space?"
 But from his email, it seems like his attitude is more like: "Oh that
darned cool kids clique of Googley appendages...  they think they can
assert their authority on me, do they?! Well, fine, I'll come anyway!  That
will show them their authority is bullshit."  What does he hope to
accomplish?

> I am just trying to find out more about this issue.

Me too!  I appreciate your questions.  I'm a bit concerned about a despotic
clique that kicks out marginalized classes, but from what I can gather on
the mailing list over the past week is that the two cases I've seen
involved a disrespect for community consent from the people asked to leave.

I'm also concerned if Tony or anyone else did not know these things about
nb:

"Be Excellent".  (Hint: This is related to consent.)

Authority doesn't exist.  (Except nb compromises its ideal to attain 501c3
status, and in the eyes of the law the "Members" and "Board" and some other
roles are special.)

Anyone should feel invited to come to a meeting to request community
attention to anything, especially being asked/told to leave.

> Thanks
> -Carl
>
> (I cannot currently post to the discuss list. Feel free to CC your reply
> to the list if you wish to do so.)

I do not understand this, because I read your email on the discuss list,
but I cc'd your address explicitly as requested.

Regards,
Nathan, avowed nb nonmember